GALLERY
A qualified professional
and artistic preparation.
ATELIER
The only restoration laboratory
recommended by antiquarians.
WHERE WE ARE
Our laboratory in the
heart of Torino.
DOVE SIAMO

Mussone Restauro Mobili
Via Maria Vittoria, 23
10124 Torino, Italy

Tel. (+39) 328 711 97 11
        (+39) 347 732 06 39

Partita Iva 08346570016





The antique Mussone Furniture Restoration laboratory is located in Via Maria Vittoria 23, in the heart of Torino. It's just a few steps from Piazza San Carlo, in the historical street of antique shops between Piazza Carlo Emanuele II (known as "Carlina") and the church of San Filippo Neri - the largest church of Torino.

In the 19th century, the first stretch of the road was called contrada di San Filippo (San Filippo's quarter) as it ran alongside the churchyard of San Filippo Neri; the second section, from Piazza Carlina to Via Plana, was the contrada del Soccorso (Charity quarter), because of the Charitable Institution for the Education of Young Girls next to church of Santa Pelagia; the third, extending as far as the murazzi (embankment) of the Po river, was the silk's contrada dei Tintori (Dyers' quarter).

The road is dedicated to Princess Maria Vittoria Carlotta Enrichetta del Pozzo della Cisterna, Paris 1846 - Sanremo 1876. Her tomb, in the Basilica of Superga, still carries an old mortuary wreath with the words: "En prueba de respetuoso homenaje a la memoria de dona Maria Victoria la lavanderas de Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Alicante, Tarragona a tan virtuosa senora" (In respectful tribute to lady Maria Vittoria. The washerwomen of Madrid, Barcellona, Valencia, Alicante, Tarragona. To a highly virtuous woman).

Daughter of the prince and patriot Carlo Emanuele del Pozzo della Cisterna, Senator of the Kingdom of Italy, and of the countess Luisa Carolina Ghislaine of Merode, with her the line of the Cisterna Princes died out and their titles passed to the House of Aosta by virtue of marriage.

In 1867, in Torino, she married Amedeo of Savoia, Duke of Aosta and son of King Vittorio Emanuele II of Italy. In 1870, Amedeo of Savoia was called to ascend the Spanish throne. The reign was, however, tempestuous and ended with his abdication: he abandoned the Spanish throne in 1873 and returned to Italy, resuming the title of Duke of Aosta with its relative rights. Maria Vittoria had followed her husband to Madrid, where she suffered greatly owing to her delicate constitution, hurt by the counterattacks of that difficult reign. Far from all political activity, she dedicated her time solely to works of charity.

She returned to Italy with her husband but died shortly afterwards as a result of the strain and frights suffered during her brief stay in Spain. She left for exile only a few days after giving birth. Following the marriage of the Princess to the Duke of Aosta, Palazzo del Pozzo della Cisterna in Via Maria Vittoria - in the antique Assunta section - became a real State Home, with the addition of new rooms, coffered ceilings, windows, gilding and silk upholstery. After the death of Princess Maria Vittoria, Amedeo of Aosta wished to complete the palace. The design for the construction of the railings surrounding the garden on Via Carlo Alberto was approved, along with the project to reconstruct the Great Staircase.

The adjoining Piazza Carlina, one of the most elegant squares of the city, was originally conceived as a quadrangular area destined - according to an edict of 1678 - for use as a wine market, with the brentatori (the priests of Bacchus with their light blue surplices).

In later years it was used as a stage for the gruesome sights offered by the guillotine which, in the 14 years of French domination, cut off 423 heads, and was subsequently replaced by the gallows during the Restoration period. Between 1800 and 1815, in what was temporarily known as Piazza della Libertà (Freedom Square), more than 400 executions were carried out. On the south side of the square there is the church of Santa Croce, built to a design of Juvarra, with its oriental bell-tower and late 19th century facade, and some buildings of considerable historical interest.